Forms of home education
Shortcomings with the current education system force parents to seek alternative ways of teaching their children. In the Russian Federation, it is absolutely legal for a child to receive education at home without attending school or other educational institutions. At the same time, there are different types of education at home; they differ in the form of organization, legal aspect, and relations between the student and the school. We will talk about distance learning, family and home schooling.
What is home schooling
This is a way to organize a learning process for children who are seriously ill. By law, home schooling is not a form of education.
At preservation of intelligence the child can study under general educational programs, but at home or in hospital. For example, if it is necessary to give injections by hours, or the school is not adapted for a wheelchair.
The child at home stays in the contingent of the school: receives textbooks, writes tests and passes exams. If he or she wants, he or she can attend some classes at school and, if possible, study using distance learning technologies.
The list of diseases that give the right to home schooling was approved by the Ministry of Health in 2016. To transfer your child to such training you need a medical and social expertise report and a statement from your parents.
On the basis of medical documents and regulations of the subject of the Federation, the school issues an order on the organization of individual education at home, as well as approves the individual curriculum, schedule, determines the teachers who will visit the child.
The advantages of home schooling
- Gives sick children an opportunity to study in regular rather than specialized schools.
- Allows to keep up with the school program during long-term treatment or rehabilitation.
Minuses of home schooling
- You can’t use it if a child has poor health, but no disability.
- Only the main subjects are included in the curriculum for home schooling. In technology, HCL, and other “optional” subjects, the child is likely not to be certified.
- Often teachers have neither a material nor a personal interest and are not very conscientious in their responsibilities to the teleworkers.
- There is almost no socialization of the child in home schooling.
What is Distance Learning
This is a way of interaction between teachers and students at a distance, when the child communicates with the teacher via video, does tasks online or simply sends electronically completed work. In this case, the assessments are usually given in person.
Legally, distance learning is not a form of education. Children studying in this way are usually part-time and learn a program using distance learning technologies (DOT).
The application procedure of the DOT is regulated by the order of the Ministry of Education and Science dated January 9, 2014. In ordinary schools, they are used most often as a support in the education of children with disabilities, as well as for classes in remote communities.